There’s an art to the green smoothie. Really, there is. Ask anyone who’s made a bad one and they’ll tell you…there’s an art to the green smoothie.
There are endless combinations — hundreds of different ways to mix and match your fruits and veggies. I’m guessing there’s a smoothie for every mood, and then some!
The trick? Proportions.
I’ve learned my proportions through trial and error. I tend to use whatever’s on hand. While we usually have a healthy stash of enough fruits and vegetables to feed an army, we have been known to run out. And that means getting creative. You’re almost guaranteed to have a kick-ass smoothie if you can balance your flavors, no matter your ingredients (typically your greens with your fruits).
I’ve had a green smoothie every morning for the last two or three months. It’s ALWAYS the first thing I put into my body to ensure all of those blended nutrients are properly absorbed. It’s something I crave…a life changing addition to my morning routine. From the way my hair and finger nails grow, to the energy boost I have after consuming…this is a habit I will never let die.
Here are some ideas…
Smoothie Base (I start every smoothie with these ingredients):
- 1/2 apple
- 1 banana
- palm full of cilantro (stems and/or leaves)
- large handful of greens (kale, spinach, romaine, whatever!)
- 1 stalk (leaves, too, if you’d like)
- half lemon (if you have a good enough blender, go ahead and throw the whole bit in, otherwise just the juice)
- 1 cup liquid (water, coconut water, coconut milk, etc)
- As much ice as your heart desires
Smoothie Additions (I add small handfuls of these in random combinations to the above base):
- raspberries (I choose these in the frozen variety instead of ice)
- pineapple (one of my favorite additions!)
- mango (so…good…)
- parsley (sub for cilantro, if you aren’t a fan)
- avocado (omit banana if you’re choosing this)
- beets (they go a long way!!!! really, you only need a very small amount)