One of my favorite things: Fried pickles from People’s Pub in Ballard.
Three of my second favorite things: not eating fried foods, not driving to Ballard, and this recipe.
Oven Fried Pickles + Yogurt Ranch
(as adapted from skinnytaste.com)
Preheat your oven and a baking sheet to 450.
Place your pickles on a paper towel to drain.
- 28 oz jars (about 40 pieces) sliced oval dill pickles (I chose organic kosher dills from PCC)
- 1/2 cup of Panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup of cornmeal
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 cup dried parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- olive oil spray (about 1 tsp)
Ingredients (guilt-free ranch):
- 1 cup organic plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Veganaise
- splash of organic 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1/3 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/3 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Remove your baking sheet from the oven and spray it with olive oil.
Mix your dry ingredients in a large bowl (flour, panko, corn meal, parsley, paprika, and chipotle).
Beat your egg and a dash of chipotle in another bowl.
Grab a pickle, dip into wet mixture, then generously cover with dry mixture. Place on sheet and repeat.
Spray breaded pickles with olive oil and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, flip, and spray once more with olive oil. Bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until crispy.
While your pickles are doin’ their thing, whip up that guilt-free ranch (nothing to it — just give it a good mix).
Pull those bad boys from the oven and serve them hot with your dip.